High School IT internships
There are a variety of high school IT internships for high schoolers in different states. On the home page of horizonworldwide.org (the website you are on now), there is a master list of high school internships. You can filter the internship table to find internships in your state and you can also filter them by category. Because you are looking for high school IT internships, filter the table by clicking “All STEM fields.”
But for your convenience, below I am going to list some popular high school IT internships I know of that students in many states can apply for:
- One popular high school IT internship is Research Science Institute at MIT https://www.cee.org/programs/research-science-institute. This program for high school juniors is extremely competitive and looks extremely good on college applications. You can live in any state to apply to this program. It is unpaid, however.
- Another popular high school IT internship include the NASA high school internships. These are only for high school students who live in certain states, however. Specifically, these internships are usually only offered for students living in Maryland, Virginia, New York, and West Virginia. You can apply for this internship here: https://intern.nasa.gov/. These programs on this website are paid.
- Another popular high school IT internship that you can apply for your senior year of high school is called the Amazon Future Engineer scholarship + internship. This opportunity offered by Amazon gives you a $40,000 scholarship ($10,000 for each of the 4 years of high school) and a programming internship at Amazon after your freshman year of college. Even though this is not a high school Amazon internship, you would be applying for this opportunity during the fall of your senior year of high school. I actually won this scholarship + internship. You can read my post on how I won the internship here (including my stats, ec’s, and essays).
- Another popular high school IT internship is called Google CSSI. You get paid about $1,000 to learn computer science topics with Google engineers. I also made a post describing Google CSSI.
- If you are a high schooler in Illinois, Fermilab offers three different high school IT internships.
What to do if you can’t find high school IT internships to apply for online
Getting a high school IT internship could be very difficult as some states do not offer many. Try to ask people you know who are involved in IT if they can connect you to an internship. If this does not work or you do not know of anyone in IT, you would want to cold-call and cold-email technology companies near you to get a high school IT internship. I was able to get a website development internship this way using my Google Map method.
Below is my Google Map method:
Go to Google Maps and type “IT places near me”
You should see Google My Businesses come up of IT companies. You can cold-call these companies and ask them for an internship. You can also cold-email these companies by finding their email on their company website, and you can get their company website from their Google My Business. I have found cold-emailing to be more effective though as I have landed a website development internship as a high schooler this way.
My post on high school Amazon internships.
My post on a list of high school business internships.
My post on a list of high school writing internships.
My post on a list of high school software engineer internships.
My post on a list of high school biology internships.
My post on a list of high school hospital internships.
My post on a list of high school law internships.
My post on a list of high school marketing internships.
My post on a list of high school IT internships.
My post on a list of high school remote internships.