Google Step Internship Opportunities
While the STEP internship is one of the most sought after internship programs, landing into it is a difficult task. The Google STEP internship is designed for the undergraduates of the first and second years. The internship is particularly popular among the students seeking an entry point in the highly competitive technical industry.
Overview of the Google STEP internship
STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program), formerly known as Engineering Practicum, is a 12-week internship for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science. The deadline for this summer’s Google STEP program is October 31, 2022.
The Student Training in Engineering Program (STEP) is originally designed for the first and second year undergraduate students.
- It is a 12 week long program and the focus is mainly on software projects.
- During this period, the interns receive technical training from regular employees of Google.
- Preference in selection is given to the underrepresented communities in the society. These include minority community, first generation students, and the students with disabilities.
The internship program has a focus of providing development opportunities to students from groups historically underrepresented in tech, through technical training and professional development. Our unique internship offers the opportunity to work on a software project alongside other STEP interns and full-time Googlers, and provides the chance to bridge the gap between academic understanding and practical professional experience. Students can apply online for the Google STEP internship programs and the programs are offered ina variety of states and countries.
There are two program date options (must be available for the entirety of the program):
- May 22, 2023 – August 11, 2023
- June 19, 2023 – September 8, 2023.
Google STEP Internship Program Goals
- To provide interns with the opportunity to complete a challenging technical project where you will build solutions and gain exposure to immense scale and complexity.
- To help interns develop their technical skills, build confidence in their abilities, and better prepare them for their future in computer science. All STEP interns will receive coaching and mentorship from Google engineers to guide you through your summer experience.
- To give interns an inside look at Google’s unique environment, community, and culture. Interns will have the opportunity to attend technical talks by Googlers, gain insight into technical interview preparation, learn about Google’s coding practices and technologies, and develop other skills that will set them up for success.
- To help participants begin building important personal networks and friendships with a diverse group of students who share their passion for technology and computer science.
Eligibility Requirements for Google STEP Internship
- First or second-year Bachelor’s student majoring in Computer Science or a related field.
- First year students have taken at least one college computer science course (AP or IB will meet course requirements). Second-year students must have completed at least two college computer sciences courses.
- Currently attending a university in North America.
- Returning to a Bachelor’s degree program with at least two years remaining in their academic program after completion of the Summer 2023 internship.
- Ability to complete a full-time, 12-week internship between May and August or June and September 2023 (exact program dates will be provided at a later point in the process).
Benefits of the Google STEP Internship
Some of the major benefits of the Google STEP internship program are as follows.
- The internship works as a solid foundation for career building.
- Top companies prefer candidates having the Google STEP internship certificate.
- It gives the students an on-hand work experience that is very useful for career building.
Information to make Entry Easier for You
Despite the difficulties associated with the program; things could become easier for you with adequate information on the internship program. It is possible finding qualitative guiding information which will make things easier for you. Required information includes the following.
- Eligibility criteria for the Google STEP internship.
- The application procedure.
- Documents needed for selection.
- Your high school academic performance.
- How the interview for selection is conducted.
- Remunerations an intern can get.
Minimum required qualification to be selected in the Google STEP program are as follows.
- You must be a first or second year student who is doing a computer degree course.
- If you are a first year student then you must have taken one computer course.
- If you are a second year student then you must have taken two computer science courses.
- You must have enrolled in a North American University.
- You should have minimum 2 years remaining for bachelor’s degree after completing the internship program.
- You can work full-time during the internship.
The very first step or landing with the Google STEP internship is to apply for the same. The dateline changes every year but normally the timeline are mid-September through early November. Interviews are held during October through April. Internship programs are either May to August or June to September. However; the candidates should regularly visit the Google website for accurate and authentic information. You must provide with your application the followings.
- Your contact information.
- Academic transcript.
- Resume or CV.
- Sample essay.
Candidates should properly follow the application checklist in respect of high school Google STEP internship.
- The student’s updated resume.
- Contact past interns for better insight.
- Build up a network that can help you on the Google STEP internship.
- Use social media for more information about applying for the internship.
Reach out to previous Google STEP interns
Getting relevant information on the internship program is very important for you. One of the best sources is the past interns. Interaction with past interns could empower you as they can not only provide valuable information but also tips on how to succeed in getting the internship. You should try to select past interns of your own university.
Show Your Interest in Google | Google STEP Internship
You may consider this as obvious but overlooking it will be one of the greatest mistakes committed by you. Check whether Google has ever reached out to your school for information. You can also use your digital knowledge to reach out to Google. Recruiters will be happy to learn that you have genuine interest in Google internship and do not consider it as one of the internship programs. Another effective method will be to get referrals that can improve your chances to land with their STEP internship.
Participate in Google’s Coding Competitions
In order to get selected for the Google STEP internship you have to be present in view of the recruiters. A most effective way of getting noticed by the recruiters is to participate in one of the Google coding competitions. At present Google offers three such events. These are “Kick Start”, “Hash Code”, and the “Code Jam”. Participation in the events will show your interest in Google. At the same time it will also have your skills noticed by their recruiters.
Facing the Interview
Interview for selection of interns is conducted with two phone call sessions of 45 minutes each. There is a layoff of 15 minutes between the two sessions. Also; each session has three steps. These are –
- Technical assessment.
- Closing questions.
Students passing out the test will face the matching process where interested teams will converse with you regarding the internship.
Here are a few tips on preparing to face interview to get selected for Google STEP internship.
- Learn the basics.
- Practice on your favorite programming language.
- Sharpen your problem solving skills.
Application Processing by Google
Applications made with all necessary information will be processed by Google. Priority will be given to the applications with the resumes drafted in (ASCII), HTML, PDF or DOC version. Applications submitted after the dateline or incomplete in any respect will be summarily rejected.
Google STEP internship program aims to create a contingent of computer scientists and software developers. It is also a social welfare scheme for backward and vulnerable sectors of the society paving the way for them to mingle with the mainstream technical experts. Students should look forward to the 2023 programs as the 2022 programs are over.
You can check out my post on Google CSSI.
You can check out my post on computer science internships for high school students.