Things You Should Know about AP Biology Classes
Students resort to AP classes and exams to earn college credits and placements when they are still at the High School. Those that is especially interested to have a future career as a Biologist may follow an Advanced Placement course on the subject. However; the AP Biology courses as well as the exams are harder than most others. Students considering joining the course classes online and offline require learning how to go for it.
Opting for AP Biology Classes
Selecting the ideal Biology courses for Advanced Placements could be a daunting task. With a little planning and the selection of the right study materials you can find the right course. You have to build up winning strategies to score a perfect 5 in the AP Biology exam.
Be Well Informed
One of the basic necessities for you is to be well-informed about the course and related exam. You should know about the followings.
- Details of the courses available.
- Overview of the exam.
- How to balance your high school studies and the preparation for the AP Biology
Incidentally; the next Advanced Placement Biology exam is scheduled to be held on 10
AP Biology Exam Format
Learning about the Advanced Placement Biology exam forma could be a great help for scheduling your preparations. Features of the exam are as follows.
- It is a long test of three-hour duration.
- The program was started in the year 2020; the format has seen some major structural changes.
- Like all other AP exams the Biology exam also has two parts. The first part is a one hour long multiple choices test. The second part is free-response section.
- Each part accounts for50% of your overall score in the exam.
Subdivision of the Sections
The above two broad sections are further subdivided into smaller sections.
- The subdivision is based on the questions asked in the exam.
- You get 60 multiple choice questions to be answered in 90 minutes.
- Each of the 60 questions comes with 4 choices.
- There is no negative marking for wrong answers and you should answer all questions.
- The one and half-hour free response section comes with 6 questions.
- There are 4 short and 2 long questions to be answered.
- Each short question is worth 4 points whereas each long question is valued at 8-10 points each.
Time Management in the Exam
You must prepare your time management plan for the AP Biology exam. You should devote 1 minute for each multiple choice questions leaving 30 minutes for revision. Similarly; you should try to limit the answering time for the long questions at 10 minutes for each of them. Proper time management is essential for earning good score in the exam.
(Samantha Lindsay – The Complete AP Biology Review Guide for 2023 (prepscholar.com) )
Practice makes You Perfect
One of the principles that is time-tested is practice makes one perfect. The principle fits tailor made in case of the AP Biology course and exam. You have to keep in mind that you are trying something that is beyond your normal high school courses. You also should keep in view the necessity of securing good scores in the exam you face at the end of the course. These factors make your preparation for passing out the Advanced Placement Biology exam with a score of 4 at the minimum, if not a perfect 5.
Practice Methods for AP Biology Exam
The best ways of practicing for the Advanced Placement Biology exams are as follows.
- Use qualitative online and printed guide books covering vital aspects of the exam.
- Take practice exams designed on the questions for a decade from 2013 to 2022.
- In any practice exam set, the 2013 Biology Practice Exam is a must inclusion because it is nationally published one.
- You should focus on the practice exams designed with the changed structure from the year 2020 onwards.
- Make full utilization of the hands-on practical exercises covered by the training institute.
(2022-2023 Exam Review – AP Biology Penguins (weebly.com))
Techniques that Really Work
Your selection of AP courses and exams aims at scoring a perfect 5 in the examination. You need to practice adequately for achievement of this target. Do not overlook that the national average of students securing a perfect score is only 10%. Even the best academies have so far been able to bring out 15% of such highly successful students. Therefore the main task for you is to identify and use the techniques that really work.
Best Practice Test Features
You should settle for the AP Biology practice test with the following features.
- Choose a guide book offering multiple practice exams.
- It should contain thorough content reviews.
- It should provide insight into best industry practices.
- The exams should be conducted online so that you get a feel of the real exams.
- They should be based on tried successful practices and help you to avoid traps.
- Practice exams should conform to the latest College Board standards.
- They should provide activities so that you are able to make critical assessment of your progress.
- Besides practice exams, the guide books must also contain relevant tips recommended by the experts.
(Princeton Review AP Biology Premium Prep, 2023 – Penguin Books Australia)
2023 AP Exam Dates
In order to plan your preparations for facing the AP Biology Exam you need a look at the exam dates. The exams for the year 2022 are already over and applications are going to be collected shortly for the year 2023. Meanwhile the Board has announced the Advanced Placement exam dates for the year 2023. The exams including Biology will be held over two weeks time in the month of May. The first week will be during 1-5 May and the second week will be during 8-12 May. No school can deviate from the above dateline. The only relaxation is available in form of the “late testing dates” allowed by the Board or students that could not appear in the exam for valid reasons. The Biology exam is scheduled to be held on the 10th day of May 2023 at 12 PM.
(2023 AP Exam Dates – AP Central | College Board)
Advanced Placement courses and exams like the AP Biology can get you college credits and placement. You need to be well informed about the right strategies to get the best results.
- The Complete AP Biology Review Guide for 2023 (prepscholar.com)
- 2022-2023 Exam Review – AP Biology Penguins (weebly.com)
- Princeton Review AP Biology Premium Prep, 2023 – Penguin Books Australia
- 2023 AP Exam Dates – AP Central | College Board
You can also check out my post on AP Environmental Science.